Welcome To Archer & Angler

Welcome to Archer & Angler. As you can see we have a growing community that shares your passion for the outdoors.
For your convenience Archer & Angler has some great tools for all your outdoor needs; Moon Phase Calculator, Fish Weight Calculator, Arrow Kinetic Energy Calculator, Topographic Maps, Fish ON-Line and so much more. Just use the navbar below to see them!
Only registered members can upload pics to our amazing photo galleries, post questions, contact other members, and so much more. Registration is quick, easy and absolutely free so why don't you join us today! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Jon629's Avatar Senior Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)

Summit Climber Treestand 'Viper SD'

Never done a review... but here goes!

Climbers Abroad; A climber style tree stand is a versatile and mobile stand. This stand best fits anyone who has little hunting property, hunts public land, has been busted, wants to try a new spot, hasn’t setup stands in advance or needs to change tactics.
    Anyone who has little hunting property or options, can carry their climber into the woods discovering the wind isn’t ideal. This climber can be put up on the fly with little noise and quite quickly to accommodate changes.
    Pubic land is a stolen tree stand haven, but not anymore. The climber once down and off the tree stacks into a backpack in minutes and easily carries in or out of the bush. It does no damage to the tree and leaves little evidence behind of your presence to other hunters.
    Busted in your hang on stand? I’ve had a doe look into my tree stand after being busted ( she was an older wise girl). She kept spotting me 50 yards out no matter what. I decided to go up another tree 30 yards down and after she inspected my stand and didn’t see me she relaxed and past me without detection at 15 yards. You can’t change stand placement on the fly like that with a hang on.
    This stand is a must if you hunt hours away or go away for a week at a time. Carry this stand and once finding or discovering a trail, rub scrape or food source just deploy and hunt. This also works when the deer throw you a wrench and change their traveling areas. Find out where the deer are going and climb a tree and start hunting.

The Summit Viper SD
    Cost $280-350 ** I picked mine up from a local guy for a 'wet box special' since the box was messed up from the rain and I paid $220 cash.
    Fits tree diameters of 8” to 20”.
    Climbing heights: from 2’ to 40’ off the ground.

How it works; the stand is 2 separate pieces, a standing foot platform and a sitting/sissy bar. It works on a basic leverage system of a bite point at the bottom of each top and bottom platform, and the rubber coated heavy cable which goes around the back of the tree. When you all pressure or weight to the stand the teeth bite into the bark of the tree and the rubber coated cable becomes pulled tight to the back of the tree leverage locking it in place.

Pros
    Cost- This holds the best price for climbing stands on the market.
    Size- I’m 6’2” and 240lbs, theres tons of room for me and I actually climb the tree with my bow in front of me, on my lap while standing and sitting to desired height. When I was teaching Erin how to climb I actually joined her in her stand (over 400lbs) and we went up the tree together a few feet so she could learn. (Never suggested)
    Comfort- My model of stand has the sit bar or sissy bar for those guys like me who like to feel secured into the stand. The sissy bar although does slightly hinder my ability to shoot sitting I combat that by raising my seat to ‘bar stool’ height and slide off the seat into a standing position. After climbing with a stand that has a sissy bar, I wouldn’t climb without it, ever.
    CD Instruction- This stand comes with a CD that shows install and building the stand. It also gives you options on how to build it slightly to your preference.

Cons
    Cost- The cost is pretty high compared to other types of stands, ladders hang ons ect. But at the cost it is the best priced climber out there.
    Practice Required- This goes for all climbers when compared to other stands. Practice is required to become efficient and quiet. I shoot my bow from my stand for practice and its nothing to shoot 3-4 arrows the climb down to collect then back up I go for more shots. Although practice is required, I feel more comfortable in this stand for hours than I do hanging a hang on for 30min.
    Physically Fit- I highly suggest you consider your level of fitness and age before using. My father is 62 and he did climb up the tree with my climber. He only went about 8ft before returning down. He liked how nice it was to use but as he said, “I wish they had these when I was a younger pup.”

Vs Competitors
    When I bought this stand I didn’t compare prices or look at competitors. I lucky ended up in my opinion with the best stand on the market. I looked on Youtube and looked at the other 2 major competing stand companies, ol’man and lone wolf. From what I’ve seen of the other designs on the other climbers out there, Summit has no small parts, nothing detaches and is quiet because of this.
    LoneWolf- I admit the design is pretty cool. But overall from what I’ve seen I wouldn’t ever do an all-day sit in their stands. If you check out the video on their website buddy who demonstrates climbing with the stand and he almost hits his knees off the tree while climbing. The guy doesn’t seem all that tall or big and he seems constricted in the stand. I would not buy a stand that doesn’t give me breathing room.
    Ol’man- There’s a few simple and quick things I just don’t like about this stand. There are 6 pin and clevis locking pins. They have the over guard to ‘lock’ them in place. Pins are noisy and easily lost. I would be some pissed if I found a small pin missing when I got to my tree. I want to minimize the noise as best as I can and this stand has 6 points where see it as faults in design. Although Ol’man offers climbers in steel (heavier and rusts) rather than aluminum, it does come at a lower price.

Conclusion
    Climbing tree stands are expensive compared to hang-on and ladder styles. But they are worth every invested penny. I love my climber stand made by Summit. I believe that Summit tree stands are at the top of the competitors and I am more than 100% satisfied. Not only did my climber beat the competitors prices, they are well built, give confidence in the stand, roomy, quick to attach and climb and easy to tote around.
    Although climbers are not for everyone in every situation or property I would buy a climber before having 5 hang-on or ladder tree stands. You simply cannot beat the versatility and mobility of a climber.
    I would highly suggest everyone looks at all the climber tree stand options out there are visit their webpage and see the videos. Decide for yourself which stand manufacturer you like, and remember to thank me for suggesting a Summit.

I've attached some pics for seeing how the Viper works.

Summit Climber Treestand 'Viper SD'-seat-climb-jpg
    Summit Climber Treestand 'Viper SD'-wire-jpgSummit Climber Treestand 'Viper SD'-backpack-jpgSummit Climber Treestand 'Viper SD'-foot-holds-jpgSummit Climber Treestand 'Viper SD'-seat-buckle-jpg
    Last edited by Jon629; 11-22-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Cory
    Blog Entries
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Excellent review Jon! I have promoted this to an article so that it shows on our Home page and in our article slider.

I will be sure to check this out when looking to purchase another stand. I think this would be a perfect compliment to my hang ons and give me that little extra versatility.
    Archer & Angler
    Shoot Problems - Tackle Questions - Reel Answers

Things to do on ArcherandAngler.com
    1) Introduce yourself to other A&A users.
    2) Upload some pictures to our gallery.
    3) Read some Reviews and add some of your own.
    4) Check out our Featured A&A Member Bios.
    5) Check our Announcements for the latest news.

**Want to be Featured in an A&A Bio?**

Jon629's Avatar Senior Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
    Excellent review Jon! I have promoted this to an article so that it shows on our Home page and in our article slider.

I will be sure to check this out when looking to purchase another stand. I think this would be a perfect compliment to my hang ons and give me that little extra versatility.
    If your down my way again come and try min out. And that goes to any A&A member!