Welcome To Archer & Angler

Welcome to Archer & Angler. As you can see we have a growing community that shares your passion for the outdoors.
For your convenience Archer & Angler has some great tools for all your outdoor needs; Moon Phase Calculator, Fish Weight Calculator, Arrow Kinetic Energy Calculator, Topographic Maps, Fish ON-Line and so much more. Just use the navbar below to see them!
Only registered members can upload pics to our amazing photo galleries, post questions, contact other members, and so much more. Registration is quick, easy and absolutely free so why don't you join us today! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    New Archer & Angler
    Country
    United States
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)

New Archer: Bow Advise

Hi I'm looking to buy my first bow. I need advice for selecting a good quality, wooden recurve bow (50lb pull), price range of 150 - 250?

Thank you so much.
    Last edited by Aryn; 04-22-2014 at 09:49 PM.

CBT's Avatar Senior Archer & Angler

Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Christian
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Aryn,

In that price range you would have to find a used bow that someone is selling. A decent wood bow new could easily range 350+. There are some made by Ragim that are slightly above your price range. Personally I prefer Bear bows. They are more expensive but I know I am getting quality and reliability.

With that being said, have you been to an archery shop to get your draw length measured? Your height and draw length will be major factors in your purchase. Also if it is your first bow I would consider getting less weight. 30 - 40 lbs is a good starting point. Proper archery technique and form is more important than how much you can pull back. Work your way up to 50 or more depending on your physical capabilities and if you can still use proper form and technique at that weight.

Your best bet is to go to a reputable bow shop. Get measured, and maybe get some instruction from a good teacher. They can advise you for what is best for your situation and budget.

Best of luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of archery.

CBT

Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Cory
    Blog Entries
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Hi Aryn and welcome!

You are in great hands here with CBT as he has a great amount of knowledge with trad bows.

Just to add to his point about draw length measurment - we have a great post here on how to determine your draw length, http://www.archerandangler.com/forum...aw-length-453/ , however CBT's advice is spot on when saying you should get measured by a professional for your first bow. This will ensure a comfortable first time experience and not one with frustration.
    Archer & Angler
    Shoot Problems - Tackle Questions - Reel Answers

Things to do on ArcherandAngler.com
    1) Introduce yourself to other A&A users.
    2) Upload some pictures to our gallery.
    3) Read some Reviews and add some of your own.
    4) Check out our Featured A&A Member Bios.
    5) Check our Announcements for the latest news.

**Want to be Featured in an A&A Bio?**

DssBB's Avatar Senior Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Robert
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Aryn,
    As mentioned by CBT, I would shy away from a 50 lb recurve for your first tradional bow. There are some really great deals on used traditional bows through several traditional archery forums such as Stickbow.com - Traditional Archery and Traditional Bowhunting for the price range your looking for. Developing a consistent and proper form and release is extremely important in shooting a traditional bow which is why we are suggesting starting with something around 40 lbs. A 40 pound recurve can be extremely accurate out to 40 + yards and is plenty of bow to take down a full size deer should you decide to hunt with.
    If you can find yourself an older (mid 60's or early 70's) Bear Kodiak or Super Kodiak or a Damon Howatt in good condition, you will have a bow that will last you many years. Most of the older traditional bows were made to last a life time and will shoot as well as a brand new $1000.00 bow. With regards to your draw length in using a traditional bow, most traditional bows have their poundage rated at 28" draw length. If you draw length is a little shorter or longer, the poundage you will be pulling will vary slightly.
    Here are a few great looking bows around your price range as an example.
    Stickbow.com's "LeatherWall" Traditional Archery Discussion Forum (Great Bow for the money)
    Stickbow.com's "LeatherWall" Traditional Archery Discussion Forum (Shorter AMO bow, still a real nice bow)
    Stickbow.com's "LeatherWall" Traditional Archery Discussion Forum (Shorter AMO bow, still a real nice shooting bow)
    Stickbow.com's "LeatherWall" Traditional Archery Discussion Forum (Great Bow for the money)

Hope this helps
    Last edited by DssBB; 04-28-2014 at 01:33 PM.

CBT's Avatar Senior Archer & Angler

Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Christian
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Great advice DssBB,

I mentioned height and draw length as factors because there are a lot of trad bows out there that aren't very efficient at shorter draw lengths and some that can't handle long ones. So it does become a major factor in a purchase. If one has an average draw it's less of an issue. Also height cause I wouldn't recommend a 55 or 58" bow to someone whom is 6 ft or more. So with all that has been said before and all of it good advice..Best thing is to go to a good bow shop and get fitted and try some out to get a good fit.