Welcome To Archer & Angler

Welcome to Archer & Angler. As you can see we have a growing community that shares your passion for the outdoors.
For your convenience Archer & Angler has some great tools for all your outdoor needs; Moon Phase Calculator, Fish Weight Calculator, Arrow Kinetic Energy Calculator, Topographic Maps, Fish ON-Line and so much more. Just use the navbar below to see them!
Only registered members can upload pics to our amazing photo galleries, post questions, contact other members, and so much more. Registration is quick, easy and absolutely free so why don't you join us today! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Cory
    Blog Entries
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)

A&A Bio - CBT - Public Servant for the City of Ottawa

Featured Member Bio - CBT

What is your name?

Christian

A&A Bio - CBT - Public Servant for the City of Ottawa-cbt-4-jpg

How did you hear about and join Archer & Angler?
    Not quite sure. Was surfing archery and hunting forums and websites, found a link. Can’t remember which site.

What do you do for a living?
    I work for the City of Ottawa. Public servant. Official title would be, Heavy equipment operator in the winter months and Parks supervisor in the summer.

Where are you living?
    I live in the east end of Ottawa.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?
    Archery by far. Fishing comes a close second.
    A&A Bio - CBT - Public Servant for the City of Ottawa-cbt-5-jpg

Which one could you not live without, fishing rod or compound bow? Why?
    Any of my bows. I am quite fond of them all. Each one is different and has its uses. I own 14 of them. lol

That is an impressive amount of bows to have in any archers collection. Tell us more about these bows; make, model, uses and what made you purchase.

I started collecting them in my late teens. I was first exposed to archery when I was in the boy scouts. My first bow was a simple plastic recurve. When I started purchasing my own, the first one was an Olympic style recurve made by hoyt.
    I used to shoot competitively in Montreal in youth categories.
    I currently own;

• 2 hoyt Olympic style recurves,
    • 3 Bear one piece recurves (Cheyenne, Super Grizzly, Kodiac),
    • 4 Long bows (English, Bear Montana, English warbow, huntsman),
    • Japanese Umi (I have yet to attempt to shoot it.),
    • Mongolian horse bow,
    • 2 hoyt compound bows ( Charger, Carbon spider),
    • 1 Crossbow (Excalibur Matrix 380 Blackout).

Each have their uses either for target, field or 3d and hunting. I bought them or traded for them simply because I liked the appearance and of course the performance. I like variety. I have maybe what we would call archery A.D.D…lol I can’t seem to concentrate on any particular style or discipline. I love it all and hope never to get bored with it.

Your favorite compound bow manufacturer & why?
    Hoyt by far. Lightweight and very accurate. Some of the smoothest bows I have ever shot. I own a Charger and a Carbon Spider. I love them because they can be used for hunting as well as 3d and target shooting when equipped with the right sights.

How did you get into bow hunting?
    My father. He brought me out hunting when I was very young. He always used riffles or shot guns. But he decided to start me off with a bow since I was too young to use firearms.

What animals do you prefer to hunt?
    Deer and Turkey.

Your most memorable harvest?
    First one. Was with a compound bow when I was out on a trip with my dad. I was around 12 at the time. It was from a tree stand at about 15 yards. A small 6 point buck.

Do you compete in 3D shoots?
    Yes I do. I try to get out to local club tournaments as much as I can. I probably attend at least 8 per year. It depends if there are club members going or I know someone from the host club. I would like to travel a little further afield to check out other nice clubs and meet fellow archers but wouldn’t enjoy it as much if I knew no one there. But would go if invited.
    A&A Bio - CBT - Public Servant for the City of Ottawa-cbt-1-jpg A&A Bio - CBT - Public Servant for the City of Ottawa-cbt-jpg A&A Bio - CBT - Public Servant for the City of Ottawa-cbt-3-jpg A&A Bio - CBT - Public Servant for the City of Ottawa-cbt-7-jpg

Tell us about your best competition result.
    My best result in 3d open class compound is 342 and traditional recurve 154. I am far from the best out there and have yet to sharpen my distance judging skills. I compete for fun and don’t take it too seriously. Coming from a Target background, at known distances I am having fun trying to judge 3d target distances correctly. But with time and practice Ill get there.
    A&A Bio - CBT - Public Servant for the City of Ottawa-cbt-6-jpg

Are you a member of any outdoor, archery or fish and game club/s?
    I am. I am the newly elected president of the Rockland Field Archers Club in Rockland Ontario (70 + members and still growing). I am also a member of the RA Center in Ottawa (Indoor recurve range). Also of the Eastern Ontario Gun Club.

If you were given an all expenses payed dream trip to any where in the world to either hunt or fish, where would you go?
    Anywhere in northern Ontario or Quebec to harvest my first moose.

Favorite outdoor memory?
    Spending a quiet day last summer at the archery range sighting in a couple of bows. Couldn’t seem to miss anything that day. Everything was going very smoothly. Perfect weather and the mosquitoes were actually seeming to leave me alone…lol

Worst outdoor memory?
    Getting caught in the rain camping. It had rained very hard that night and woke up half way through the night to a soaked sleeping bag and clothes. It was cold and damp. Ended up having to sleep on the front seat of my car. The only good thing about that whole night was in the morning I saw my first live moose! It was about 75 yards away at the edge of the lake close to where I was camping. Those things are huge!

Any forum threads or part of the site that have your attention, if so why?
    I like the entire site. But I would probably gravitate towards anything to do with archery.

What three things have you yet to do as an angler?
    Catch anything from a boat. Catch a shark. Learn how to use jigs properly.

What three things have you yet to do as an archer or hunting in general?
    I haven’t hunted in over 15 years. I moved to Ottawa from Montreal about 12 years ago. Have few friends here and none that hunt.

This spring I am re-qualifying for my PAL and Hunting permit since I let them lapse years ago. As an archer I am continuing to learn as much as I can. I became a local – provincial level judge and range safety officer and will soon become an instructor for beginners. I want to progress along those lines in order to promote archery in my area and have fun doing it. I want to teach my son when he gets a little older and help him to develop good wholesome outdoor practices that he in turn pass on some day.

The one thing I want to be able to do for myself in archery is be able to fire my English warbow without killing my back and shoulder muscles. 125lbs draw on that sucker… even at my short draw I can’t do it yet… But have since gone back to the gym and hope to be strong enough one day.

What made you decide to get your Provincial Level Judge qualifications?
    I am currently a club level judge. I can be called up to judge provincially but have a few more steps and hoops to jump through before I become a full Provincial judge. I became a judge in order to meet and exceed the requirements for our club to maintain registration with the O.A.A. We have a couple of provincial judges already in the club and wanted to make sure that we maintain that level moving forward. I also qualified as a range safety officer for the same reason. Also as a judge I can travel to different clubs across Ontario if called upon for an event. Which for me is a great opportunity to meet new people and help promote the sport of archery.

I am a big believer in fair play and hate cheaters. In today's society, cheating almost seems accepted and par for the course… I guess I am old fashioned and believe you should earn what you get.

I am truly passionate about the sport and want to see it evolve and grow as the next generations take over. Archery has been around for thousands of years all over the world. I would like to see continue just as far and not become a lost art.

I am also planning on qualifying this summer to be an instructor for beginners in order to further promote the sport and to offer people new to archery and to our club some basic instruction to get them started on their journey. We have recently had a few youths join the club along with their parents and there seems to be a need for it with the growing interest from new archers.
    Archer & Angler
    Shoot Problems - Tackle Questions - Reel Answers

Things to do on ArcherandAngler.com
    1) Introduce yourself to other A&A users.
    2) Upload some pictures to our gallery.
    3) Read some Reviews and add some of your own.
    4) Check out our Featured A&A Member Bios.
    5) Check our Announcements for the latest news.

**Want to be Featured in an A&A Bio?**

Sammo_3888's Avatar Elite Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Sam
    Blog Entries
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Time to get you out hunting again! thanks for the bio!

Sammo

CBT's Avatar Senior Archer & Angler

Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Christian
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Yes getting back out hunting would be awesome. I hope to be doing so next season even if I have to pay for a guide since I have no one around here that hunts.

Bow String Depot's Avatar Elite Archer & Angler
    Country
    United States
    Real Name
    Hutch
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Nice read!

Hutch

HillBillyWilly's Avatar Elite Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    What a great read. Thanks for sharing @CBT!