Welcome To Archer & Angler

Welcome to Archer & Angler. As you can see we have a growing community that shares your passion for the outdoors.
For your convenience Archer & Angler has some great tools for all your outdoor needs; Moon Phase Calculator, Fish Weight Calculator, Arrow Kinetic Energy Calculator, Topographic Maps, Fish ON-Line and so much more. Just use the navbar below to see them!
Only registered members can upload pics to our amazing photo galleries, post questions, contact other members, and so much more. Registration is quick, easy and absolutely free so why don't you join us today! CLICK HERE TO REGISTER

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
+ Reply to Thread
    Jon629's Avatar Senior Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)

First compound kill (ever), and first deer in 5 years!

God, it's been a while! Our ground blind hasn't seen daylight activity since I don't know when. I decided to change things up a little bit, seeing as we're nearing the end of the season and we were still....deerless!
    I have seen a few deer after dark closer to the farm house on my way out with the trucks headlights. I sat in a chair on the ground the other night to see what would happen. I put out a bucket of feed in hopes of attracting some deer to that spot. First night sitting there, a doe caught me off guard about 10 yards behind me. She created a big commotion with a lot of blowng, then took off thrashing through the woods. I'm not sure if she smelt me, or just saw my head move but either way - she was gone.

I took down the stand further South where we were hunting regularly and moved it to the farm house. Found a nice tree, that had two trunks that "V" out towards the top. Perfect location.
    I finished hanging the treestand and cutting lanes at 3:30 p.m. I ran home, got changed and came back out and was sitting by 4:00. At 4:40, this doe and fawn walked out and meandered through the apples before coming to my feed pile, only 20 yards in front of me. They ate for what seemed like forever. But then again, you can guess my excitement - anything would feel like forever. I finally got to draw my bow back and before she had a chance to take off, I hit her! The shot was a little further back then I intended, but hey!...DEER DOWN within 30 yards. I guess this proves you can hunt a stand right after hanging it, even though you've made a commotion. (What do you know, Erin DOES know a thing or two! lol)

I'm guessing she's around 4-5 years old with the amount of greying and the coarseness of her coat. Her teeth are all battered up too. When we got her home, we tried to weigh her, but she broke my scale!!
    It was quite the adventure with just me and the wife trying to move and lift her. I'm guessing she weighs around 160-180lbs, since we can barely lift her off the ground. Either way, it's meat in our freezer and my curse has been lifted!!!

Thanks moosemeat for helping me broadhead tune my bow, and those nocturnals worked out great!!

First compound kill (ever), and first deer in 5 years!-img-20121211-00312-jpgFirst compound kill (ever), and first deer in 5 years!-img-20121211-00310-jpgFirst compound kill (ever), and first deer in 5 years!-img-20121211-00311-jpg

Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Cory
    Blog Entries
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Hey way to go Jon!!!! Congratulations and good job!
    My first compound kill was a doe as well. Good feeling isn't it?
    I am happy for yeah.
    Archer & Angler
    Shoot Problems - Tackle Questions - Reel Answers

Things to do on ArcherandAngler.com
    1) Introduce yourself to other A&A users.
    2) Upload some pictures to our gallery.
    3) Read some Reviews and add some of your own.
    4) Check out our Featured A&A Member Bios.
    5) Check our Announcements for the latest news.

**Want to be Featured in an A&A Bio?**

Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Cory
    Blog Entries
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    I posted the news to our wall on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/ArcherAngler
    Archer & Angler
    Shoot Problems - Tackle Questions - Reel Answers

Things to do on ArcherandAngler.com
    1) Introduce yourself to other A&A users.
    2) Upload some pictures to our gallery.
    3) Read some Reviews and add some of your own.
    4) Check out our Featured A&A Member Bios.
    5) Check our Announcements for the latest news.

**Want to be Featured in an A&A Bio?**

DEERHUNTER's Avatar New Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    david
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    way to go Jon

Bow String Depot's Avatar Elite Archer & Angler
    Country
    United States
    Real Name
    Hutch
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Good going Jon, Full freezer is a good thing. Feels good doesn't it!

Hutch

DssBB's Avatar Senior Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Robert
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Great job on taking your first deer with a bow. Spring Bear and Turkey are just around the corner. Time to hone those bow hunting skills.

btw.....Having a Hoyt quiver on an Elite bow is taboo.
    Last edited by DssBB; 12-12-2012 at 04:06 PM.

HillBillyWilly's Avatar Elite Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Congrats Jon.

Jon629's Avatar Senior Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    Jonathan
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    Thanks everyone. It feels good to know the freezer will have some wild meat in it and that the grocery bills won't be 'meat heavy' as we call it. Plus its good to put this bow to some live use.

moosemeat's Avatar Elite Archer & Angler
    Country
    Canada
    Real Name
    doug
    My Feedback
    ( 0 )
    (0% Positive Feedback)
    way to go buddy,i knew your effort would pay off.you still have one more tag to fill so get r done ! im not getting out to much but have a friend coming in from aussie land and i have set a side a few days with him.and sunday with redneckhillbilly.